Friday, April 8, 2016

Congratulations to Cameron McCarthy!!


The National Collegiate Boxing Association (NCBA) is hosting its 40th national
championship this year in the West, Midwest, and Eastern areas of the United
States. However, this year will mark the third year that women are able to
compete. Santa Clara University’s Cameron McCarthy will be competing in this
year’s championship. Cameron is a junior here at SCU studying Business
Management and Political Science. She began boxing at Santa Clara University on
a whim and fell in love with the sport. She even kept up with the sport while studying
abroad in Argentina. When asked about her experience, she said, “I boxed with a
world champion boxer, Miguel Angel Castellani.  After my program ended I
volunteered with Fight for Peace, in Rio de Janiero, Brazil for three weeks. I
worked in a poor favela, Complexo de Mare, and helped empower girls through
boxing. It was the most incredible experience of my life. I really hope I am able to
go back.” As she is going to be completing her 11th fight this week, Cameron
reminds us that boxing has taught her more about her passions and herself than
anything that she has encountered before. Campus Recreation wishes her luck in
her journey through the championships!